Girls and Their Cramps

My sister-in-law left a comment about exercising and cramps which made me decide that it is another great exercise topic. I remember when I first got cramps and the last thing I was ever told to do was to exercise. Yet that’s exactly what the doctor should prescribe. Maybe this will help bring about some more understanding about girls and what to do about their cramps:

Exercise releases endorphins. Endorphins are a hormone that is released in response to stress or pain; they are natural pain killers. The secretion of endorphins gives a feeling of euphoria. Have you ever just felt really good about things after a good, long run? Or have you ever felt much better by punching a pillow? If so, that’s because endorphins were released.

This is the same for cramps. It is suggested that a regular exercise routine is maintained before, during, and after cramps. If exercise is only a solution during cramps, you may get more muscle pain from exercising than just the regular cramps. Not only that, but by exercising regularly, more endorphins will be released each time you engage in physical activity. Along with that, at least 30 minutes of physical activity is suggested in order to receive the benefits of exercise.

I understand that cramps are different from woman to woman which is why it is so important for you to decide how much exercise you need and what the intensity of it should be. For some, getting out and walking slowly for 30 minutes is all that they can do. However, even that little bit helps. For others, their motto is “no pain, no gain” which isn’t really a great outlook on exercise, but if they can work at a high intensity for a long duration, good for them! And then if you’re like me, playing some intense tennis for an hour is perfect. I love it because I get to move, I get to hit the tennis ball as hard as I can (right at my opponent if I’m really upset that day), and I get to yell at the ball or myself all I want and no one stops me because it’s all a part of my game.

So the bottom line is EXERCISE! It releases endorphins, makes you feel good, and helps relieve some of those nasty girl cramps.

On a side note, apparently chocolate releases endorphins too. So if you're really not up for exercise, perhaps try some chocolate and let me know if it works. I'm guessing it does. Who is sad and in pain after they eat chocolate (unless you're like me and it makes you sick)?

No comments:

Post a Comment